Saturday, December 17, 2011

What Was I Thinkin'

I just finished Storm Born by Richelle Mead.  I must confess, I didn't love it.  I really like Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series (with the exception of Dimitri wearing a duster; truly NOT sexy) and this Dark Swan series was recommended to me by a friend.  I picked up the first three books from Barnes & Noble since they had a Nook bundle for ten bucks. 



As far as the heart of the book, I felt it was all pretty average.  The characters weren't well developed and I never got attached to any of them, which is odd for me.  The jumping between worlds was easy enough to follow, but then I had to keep up with which beings were hurt by iron, which were hurt by silver, which world they were in for what weapon to work as well as learn a whole host of terms for fairies, trolls, etc. 


Around page 42 or so (of the Nook bundle) Eugenie (worst name EVER for a modern-day heroine) & Kiyo (can I have a pronounciation guide please?  I'm from Kentucky for crying out loud!) have just met & they are back at his hotel ready to bump uglies. 
It cracks me up at the PSA's that authors throw into their books. She gets this hot scene all built up, clothes are flying, he's thrown her on the bed... but wait. Eugenie has to go through this diatribe about the fact that they had pause the public groping and stop to buy condoms.  Then she basically says that she isn't so stupid to have unprotected sex, even if she is on the pill.

Really? Is that really where your moral boundaries are? In 42 pages, she's cussed, drank, killed, is about to be ravished by a total stranger, but not using a rubber is where she draws the line. I'm not judging, I just thought it was a ridonkulous PSA thrown in there.  
However, later on in the story we find that Eugenia's son will play a MAJOR role in the future of both the mortal and fairy worlds.  Basically, lots of weird, creepy creatures come at her trying to procreate.  Eugenia makes a big point of saying she doesn't want ot have a son, but we never know WHY.  If she had made the decision not to have kids some time ago, what caused it?  If she felt like she couldn't have a child because of the prophecy, wouldn't she need time to process that fact and come to terms with it?  The fact that those issues weren't addressed left a big, gaping hole in the story.  Had the author addressed this issue, maybe there would have been more to Eugenia's character.

All in all, I wasn't really pleased with the book.  I'm not sying I will never read the rest of the series, but it isn't a priority for me right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment