Monday, November 21, 2011

Flightless Bird

Since I have fully recovered from staying up entirely too late on a work night, I have finally found time to give an account of the insanity that was the midnight showing of Breaking Dawn.


Spoiler alert: DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE, BUT PLAN TO.  If you haven't seen the movie and have no desire to do so, read away and enjoy!





This was the first time I had been to a midnight showing, mainly because all of my grown-up friends felt they were far too sophisticated (or smart?) for such frivolity on a Thursday night.  However, this time was different!  My friend Sunni, who I've known forever but we haven't hung out much before, and her mom and I had planned to get to the theater around 8:30 or so and of course that day the weather had changed from brisk, beautiful fall weather to full-on winter with temps in the 40's and colder.  I was NOT looking forward to standing outside.  On lunch I ran out and bought a bunch of hand warmers so that just in case we got stuck in a line that wrapped around the building we hopefully wouldn't turn into popsicles.


We started hearing rumors that the parking lot was full and people were already lining up so instead we got to the theater at 7:00.  Yes.  You read that right - a full FIVE hours before the show was to start.  Thankfully when we got there, there were only about 40 people in the lobby in front of us and we weren't out in the cold.  Sunni went to check out the theater, the number that was printed on our tickets.  I'm still not sure how we did it, but the manager let me go into and save seats for the other two. 


I should mention here that while I did see one theater employee in the women's bathroom mid-meltdown as she tried to change the paper towel roll, the manager was GREAT!  Not only did he let us save seats, he was really nice, came in to check on our theater and wasn't an uptight nut job on a power trip.  Kudos to that guy for making it fun for all of us.


Anyway, by the time Sunni and her mom got into the theater, we still had another 4 hours to kill.  Next time, we'll be bringing a deck of cards, something to watch a movie on, Nooks, etc.  Thank goodness I upgraded to the iPhone 4 because the battery on my old 3 phone would have died an hour into this black-hole of time.  I read a little, played a little, talked a little, at a little... and really, those 4 hours did not drag by.  Also, next time there is a high probability that I will be in jammy pants.  :)


Finally, the movie started...  Twilight, for me, is one of those guilty pleasures.  I don't want to like it, but I can't help myself.  I don't think Kristen Stewart can act her way out of a paper bag (and she wasn't always like that.  Did anyone see In the Land of Women?  I LOVED that movie and didn't think she was nearly as twitchy - nor did she make sounds like she was choking through the whole thing!).  I think Robert Pattinson's acting was better this time & I credit Reese Witherspoon for helping him improve his skills in Water for Elephants.  I thought the wigs were MUCH better in this movie and the make up was good (although RPatz did look like the contacts were bothering him in a couple of scenes).  Poor Nikki Reed - all I can figure is that she is so gorgeous in real life, the make up artists were trying to ugly her up.  She just seemed so unnatural to me... you know, more unnatural than the usual vampires.  LOL!


Sadly, Taylor Lautner keeps his shirt on through like 95% of the movie. 


If you were worried about letting the kiddos see the honeymoon scene, then don't be.  All the hype that was made about the headboard breaking was just that; hype.  It certainly didn't borderline on HBO, more like the CW after 7:00 pm.  The book was much more detailed than the movie ever thought about being, especially in that scene.


Question:  Why wasn't Edward sparkling in all that beachy sunlight?  Did they think the audience wouldn't notice glitter boy didn't look like he'd been bedazzled?


There was only one part of the movie that I really didn't care for and that was the wolves in the lumber yard when Jacob splits from the pack.  When we were kids, my brother had this He-Man castle that had a microphone on it that made your voice kind of have an echo effect.  I'm pretty sure the production team used the Castle Grayskull plastic microphone for the wolves voices.


The scene stealers in the movie were, as always, Kellan Lutz, Jackson Rathbone, Booboo Stewart and Billy Burke.  I was really glad to see Jasper get a lighter role than he had before. 


I laughed, gasped, hid my eyes and was grossed out through the movie.  The whole baby-removal scene was gag-worthy in the book and in the movie too although I think it was tamed down for the big screen.  It still weirds me out that Jacob imprints on Renesmee too and nothing you can say will change my mind about that.  I kind of hate myself for liking this story...


I think the whole basis of the story of the Twilight Saga is redonkulous


If you go see Breaking Dawn expecting to see an Oscar contender, you will be sorely let down.  But, if you go into it accepting it for what it is, a two-hour break from reality, then go and enjoy it!  As for me, I'll be buying a copy of the movie when it's released, probably checking out through one of those do-it-yourself lanes so no one sees me.  And of course I'll be getting tickets to the midnight showing of Part 2, mildly disgusted with myself.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment